Franklin Arbuckle was born in Toronto in 1909. He enrolled in evening classes at the Ontario College of Art (O.C.A.) in 1927 and during his years there studied under J.E.H. MacDonald, Fred S. Haines, J.W. Beatty, Arthur Lismer and Frank H. Johnston, receiving scholarships and honours in both years. In 1930 he left to set up his own studio. In 1933 Arbuckle was elected to the Ontario Society of Artists (O.S.A.), followed by his election to the status of Associate of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts (A.R.C.A.) in 1936. Arbuckle moved to Montreal in 1940. In 1943 he became a full member of the R.C.A. and shortly after, courtesy of C.P. Rail and C.P. Air, he began traveling across Canada on painting assignments. His destinations included Newfoundland and the east coast, the prairies, the Arctic and Western Canada. In 1958, with his wife and fellow painter Frances-Anne Johnston (the daughter of the Group of Seven’s Frank Johnston), Arbuckle returned to Toronto and began teaching at the O.C.A. From 1960 to 1964 he acted as R.C.A. President and visited Europe for the first time. During the remainder of his career he would re-visit Europe almost annually and, on behalf of the O.C.A., he established an off-campus college facility in Florence. He also revisited the east coast of Canada, Newfoundland and the western provinces. In 1989, after 40 years, he retired from teaching at the O.C.A. Arbuckle died in Toronto in 2001.