Born in St. Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Andrew moved to Montreal in search of employment in 1926, which he found with CN Telegraph. He studied commercial art under Wilfred Barnes (1926), and worked as a commercial layout artist (1927-28). He took figure drawing classes with Paul Caron (1929) in an effort to enhance his commercial art skills.
In 1931 he moved into a studio in Beaver Hall Square and studied under Adam Sherriff Scott (1931), and later Edwin Holgate (1938-39).
Andrew painted Montreal buildings and rooftops, landscapes, including views of the Laurentians, still life, portraits, and genre in various mediums. He retired from CN in 1969 and moved to Newfoundland in 1970, and Vancouver, British Columbia in 1978.
A member of the Montreal Arts ANDRE-ANDREWS Club, Andrew exhibited at the RCA between 1936-47 and the MMFA between 1931-54